The reasons for avoiding connection with the body can be many, complex and valid in their historical context. The pathways to restoring connection need sensitivity, courage, organic time, gentle inquiry and an awareness of working with trauma.
I am an ISMETA registered trauma informed Somatic Movement Therapist. I hold space for people exploring themes around restoring connection in the body and working with life’s challenges. These themes are explored through the moving body.
How: Depending on your needs, a session may be focused towards:
- Somatic movement which involves a creative approach, drawing upon the principles of Authentic Movement, as well as the work of Miranda Tufnell, Andrea Olsen, Emily Conrad and my studies in embodied anatomy.
- Bodywork: where appropriate, collaborative bodywork can be a powerful means through which to connect with the body and explore themes in therapy.
- Gentle yoga practice, which includes attention with the breath, simple movements and mindfulness.
- Embodied Relaxation: giving space for rest, replenishment, nurture and inner inquiry.
- Sessions may include a combination of all four.
My approach is rooted in a spirit of exploration into the lived experience of the body as it emerges.
In sessions, you will explore ways to tend to the present felt sense, anchor in inner resources and connect with the body’s innate intelligence for self/co-regulation and healing.
I will support you to gently reconnect and develop a healthy relationship with your body and the environment you inhabit.
You will learn gentle, simple tools that support integration and wellness.
“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”
I do not offer quick fixes or aim to ‘fix’ you. This work is an empowering and collaborative process.
I will support you to uncover the nuggets of wisdom that lie at the heart of life’s challenges.
This wisdom is within you and can be revealed as your sense of connection with yourself, others and your place as part of this animate Earth is uncovered and the exiled parts of yourself are reclaimed.
I see my role as being your ally on your path of regenerating and embodying wholeness (which, paradoxically, is inclusive of all your brokenness).
- P.G. Diploma in Dance and Somatic Wellbeing (with distinction).
- Authentic Movement & Therapeutic Presence levels 1 & 2.
- IBMT Infant Development Movement Patterns
- Qualified and experienced yoga therapist, specialising in Yoga Therapy for mental health and wellbeing, as well as for women’s health.
- I hold a trauma sensitive space and have attended CPD trainings in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Gestalt, Hakomi and Process Work.
Please visit here for further information on my trainings and CPD.
Where: Movement Therapy can be held in one of the following three spaces:
- A beautiful studio space in Harbertonford. The setting is tranquil, private and surrounded by birdsong and the sound of the babbling brook close by. I recommend this space as nature can support your healing.
- In Totnes. I offer sessions from the lovely MoveForward studio in Totnes town.
- On the Land. Between April and November sessions can take place on the land. Contact me for more details.
Contact Hayley to book your session or arrange a free 20 minute consultation.